How to Enrol
Waimataitai School Pre-enrolments
Enrolment at Waimataitai School is governed by a zoned enrolment scheme.
The exact number of places will depend on the number of applications received from students who live within the school’s home zone.
Parents of students who live within the home zone and intend enrolling their child at any time during the next year should notify the school at least 6 months prior to starting. This assists the school to plan appropriately for the next enrolment period.
OUT OF ZONE ENROLMENTS
Each year the Board of Trustees will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. There are two enrolment periods each year. Ballots for these enrolments are held May and October. The Board will publish information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolments will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First priority is not applicable as the school does not operate a Special Programme.
- Second priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third Priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the Board of the school, or a child of a member of the Board of the school.
- Sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Details of how applications are to be made:
- Enrolment form completed
- Copies of students’ birth certificate or Visa Document & Passport
- Immunisation record
- Current proof of address (if living in-zone)
- Email the above documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver/post to the office at 25 Trafalgar Street, Timaru.
If the number of out of zone applications exceeds the number of places available, students will be selected by ballot.
Parents will be informed of the outcome of the ballot within three school days of the ballot being held.
Adopted Enrolment Scheme
To avoid overcrowding, or the likelihood of overcrowding, the board of Waimataitai School has adopted an enrolment scheme that has been approved by the Secretary for Education.
All students who live within the home zone described below shall be eligible to enrol at the school. Addresses on both sides of boundary roads are considered in-zone unless specified otherwise. Under this scheme, students will be enrolled if they live within the following home zone:
Starting from the intersection of Ranui Avenue and Evans Street
- East through Ashbury Park to the coastline
- South along the coastline to a point due east of Heaton Street
- West to the eastern end of Heaton Street
- West along Heaton Street to Stafford Street
- North along Stafford Street to North Street
- West along North Street to Le Cren Street
- North along Le Cren Street to Church Street
- West along Church Street to Wilson Street
- North along Wilson Street to Hatton Street
- West along Hatton Street to Avenue Road
- North along Avenue Road to Thomas Street
- West along Thomas Street to Preston Street
- North along Preston Street to Wai-iti Road
- West along Wai-iti Road to Craighead Street
- North along Craighead Street to Kitchener Square
- East along Kitchener Square to June Street
- Including all addresses on Kitchener Square
- East along June Street to Park Lane
- East along Park Lane to Douglas Street
- West along Douglas Street to Athol Place
- Including Douglas Street Addresses up to address 130 Douglas Street
- North along Athol Place to Glen Street
- Including Elmsdale Terrace
- East along Glen Street to Selwyn Street
- South along Selwyn Street to Hobbs Street
- East along Hobbs Street to Evans Street
- South along Evans Street to Ranui Avenue
The enrolment of out-of-zone students is governed by the provisions of the Education Act 1989. The enrolment scheme, which includes a precise description of the home zone, may be viewed at the school office, where copies of the scheme are also available, or email email@example.com
For parents enrolling New Entrants (children starting school for the first time) we strongly advise you to make the decision at least 6 months before you want your child to start. This allows you to be talking about the school your child is going to, going past it, walking through it and becoming familiar with it at every opportunity.
Information to bring to enrolments;
- birth certificate, immunization record, B4 school check information for New Entrants
- transfer information or latest school report for those transferring from another school
- Proof of residential address
- passport including visas for students migrating to NZ or not born in NZ and eligible through their parents employment to attend school
Starting school is an exciting time
Starting school is an exciting time for children and their families. We welcome inquiries about enrolling your child at Waimataitai School. We work hard to ensure each child has a positive and successful transition to our school. This transition is important to us and we look forward to building a relationship with you, and your family.
If your child has already started school but you are considering coming to Waimataitai, we welcome your inquiry about our school for your child’s education.
Anyone who is interested in enrolling their child is encouraged to phone our office (03 684 5566) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with Jonathan Young, principal so he can meet with you and your child and show you around the school.